Monday, September 17, 2018

Week 4: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding (Part 1)

The first website I visited was http://jamilin.com/ . I immediately notice that the website is very loud. The colors don't seem to have any good contrast. You notice the tabs as many different bright colors that don't really pair together well, causing for the page to appear very chaotic. I don't even know where any brand or logo appear as so many random things fill the page. It's overwhelming and definitely not practical. Half of the page, in my opinion, appears to be ads and if they are I'm too scared to click on them and find out. I find there is too many options on the drop down menus, making it very disorganized. I notice an abundance of exclamation points after some of the phrases and slogans, which literally SCREAM messy and unprofessional to me. It just seems like the website goes in so many different directions I don't even know what the purpose for it really is. Things are aligned in a sloppy way and it is extremely hard to tell where one section ends and another begins.

I think one of the best things they could do, from a visual standpoint, is to tone down the colors and use shades that don't clash. The menus need to be categorized better to where there is not  so many page links on each drop down. I feel that this just makes it hard for people to navigate. Since practically everything stand out on the page and has an overwhelmingly close proximity, it is hard to rank the importance of what is being read. I think that a simple overview of the content to weed out some of the unnecessary information could do this site a lot of good. Like they say, less is sometimes more.

Another site I chose was http://www.roverp6cars.com/ and again I find the same degree of chaos on the page. One of the first things I notice is how they use photos of cars as backgrounds for the links. This is a bad tactic because it takes away from the readability of the words. It is also very repetitive and long and, again, contains too many links. In one particular part they even use different coloring on the words in the same sentence. The colors are all too loud and don't mesh well together, but the biggest problem is it is confusing to the reader. At one point there is a large blue link which boasts "CLICK HERE" and I am not even sure what it is meant to be for.

I feel that they need to use less imagery and more of a plain canvas for the wording on the pages. They should improve upon the alignment and proximity of the content. I think a good idea would be to take the various car photos and make a clickable gallery in which the viewer can scroll through instead of overwhelming them with all the pictures at once. I also think that using colors that contrast better would make the site more visually appealing. Again, as in the other site, I think that making broader categories for their internal links would make it easier to navigate. Using a few drop down menus would be more effective than the long list of seperate ones they have displayed.

On the other hand, https://www.toyota.com/ is visually appealing right when you open the page. The colors contrast well and go together making it easy on the eye. They use the gallery option, as I suggested for the other site, and it works well to display the different car models and styles. Their logo is placed in a noticeable spot and aligned against the menu items with just enough emphasis. They keep their logo displayed, in the same spot, on every page. The design is convenient as it includes a search option allowing for user convenience. Here the design strongly influences the way I feel because it simply makes it easy for me to comprehend what I am looking at and simple to figure out where and how I can get where I want to go.

https://www.apple.com/ is another site that is an example of a well put together website. The design is sleek and it is not too loud, yet catches your attention I like the way they have the large image of the iPhone's plastered against the all black background because it looks sophisticated and gives me a feel for the type of quality company they are. The hierarchy of the site is well set up as they display the newest product on the market with a catchy phrase;"Welcome to big screens" in large writing as a marketing tactic for their new cell phone design. the site is straightforward in that the menu is simple and right to the point.  Each internal link is categorized by the various products and support offered and, once clicked, shows the different available versions. The design and branding make me feel like this is a company that has it together and is about quality.
 (Links to an external site.)

No comments:

Post a Comment